1956 Plodge 2 door wagon (cheap and stubborn)

Old Ray

Supporting Member
So the rear wheel wells were rotten but repair panels were either not available or expensive, turned out that early C10 were very close to the same profile and cheap. Only a anal purist mopar nut might be able to see the difference, not that that mattered.

eIKSqMal.jpg

Turns out that my stubbornness and cheapness backfired, the diff is to wide and the wheels to big and I could not remove the wheels. So, plan "B", an added on latter model C10 panel. Cheap. Not too stock looking now. ;) (see the NASCAR type exhaust ?)

qvSTBYwl.jpg

Neat project Ray, much more interesting than the usual tri five chev's & it won't be stock so who cares about the quarter profile!

Don’t know if your looking for opinions but here goes...Like the first one better....could you not just use the first style and move it up a bit so the tires come off?...just a thought..

Before you decide on the wheel arch choice, I wonder if there is a way of getting the axle to drop more so you can remove the wheel.
First, is it the shock that's limiting drop out? If so will it drop far enough if the shock is disconnected? Maybe longer travel shocks, and or leaning them in more will do it. If the springs are limiting drop out, you might consider a slipper mount at the rear in place of the shackle. Lots of trailers use slippers as did Hayes trucks when I worked there. You would want a retainer pin under the spring which is not under load so can easily be removed, like a hitch pin, when you want to drop the axle. This pin could have a rubber bushing on it to silence the leaf hitting it on rough roads. Looking at your older photos, the retainer pin would likely be long enough to come through the frame rail so you can pull it from the side. Anyway, just some thoughts.
Another thought on the wheel arches. Chevy went to much higher arches on the Nomad, so yes that's an option. I had a Buick Regal with rusted our rears so I used good ones that I cut out of a pair of front fenders. They were close to the original rears and suited the car fine. So what about front fenders from a '56 Plodge. My buddy in Kelowna has a '41 Plodge, he hates me calling it that. ;):)

Before you decide on the wheel arch choice, I wonder if there is a way of getting the axle to drop more so you can remove the wheel. . ;):)

Hi John, thanks for the reply, lots of good info. Yes, when this first happened with the shocks disconnected and a bottle jack at maximum extension between the frame and the axle I could just get the wheel off. Not what I want to be doing on the side of the road in the dark in a rain storm. So I keep cutting the first quarter panel opening higher until I could get the wheel off and on with the axle hanging, and then I installed the second quarter panel there. If it is good enough for "kind of a" Nomad and the great girl I go with then it is good enough for me. Thanks :cool:

Slow, ... I find when winter starts the energy level goes down, usually not for to long. Doing body work that I dislike (as in hate).
Having trouble getting the quarter panel level and laid into the bondo with the dual action straight air sander so hard that I pull the muscles in my shoulder. Need bigger grit sandpaper. Getting old really sucks.
Thanks for asking.

Hey @OldRay , We havent heard from you in a while , hows the 56 Plodge coming along?

I sent him a PM awhile ago..no response....probably shovelling snow or working on his car...

[IMG alt="PG409"]https://canadianrodder.com/forum/data/avatars/m/0/41.jpg?1604881262[/IMG]
PG409
Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2020
Give us a break Ray

Keith Member BCHRA, SVABC & PG Overdrives

On December 15, 2020 Keith suggested on behalf of all of you (quote: us) that I should take a break, ... so I did.

On December 25 Keith contacted me by private message:

[IMG alt="PG409"]https://canadianrodder.com/forum/data/avatars/m/0/41.jpg?1604881262[/IMG]
PG409
Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2020New

We gotta connect up again

cheers. Keith

Keith

I did not reply because I think that a public suspension would warrant a public discussion.

If I can not say what I believe to be true .. then I will not say anything.

It’s only words Ray. i dont think what he said was meant to discredit you in any way...if you need a apology let me apologize for “us” because I think sometimes I can be a little rough around the edges in what I say also. We do like your input..