1950-53 Buick 320 cu. straight 8

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
Sold my parts Buick about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago the guy that bought it invited me to lend a hand building a salt flats car out of the shell I sold him.The division he wants to go into requires an original motor. 1950-53 320 cu. in. straight 8 is what we need. If I found one I would have to wait to bring it home when I’m back this way with my trailer most likely in late summer so it would have to stay at the sellers until then. Anywhere between Toronto and the west coast is good. Doesn’t need to run but needs to turn freely. Don’t need the manifolds. He has most everything else and the people to do the work. Any parts of this motor or and leads would be most appreciated. Thanks guys.

Yup..that’s what he’s building…he sent us all the rules and regulations books…just need to find a few more parts and he’s starting the build…

Good luck with the project. I think I would look carefully at what your objectives are for the project. For example look at all the current records for the XO engines in all classes of car style that allows these engines. Pick the car style with what appears to be the softest or usually oldest record and go from there. Also consider trying for a 200 mph club membership. You'd probably have to go for a Lakester or Roadster car to do this (use the Buick Super Riv as your push car), Research the "Hudson Boys" as they have a ton of XO records. Or what about a de-stroked 1937 Cad V12, Hmm, the imagination runs wild.

All good ideas..I’m only a extra hand…I will most likely spend most of my time in a lawn chair and getting in the way.

Interesting Bonneville article in the Dec/Jan issue of Cdn Hot Rods magazine. These guys got it right!