1929 Model A Sport Coupe to Cabriolet conversion

The coupes and roadsters from the 30s have always been a favourite of mine but they are of a limited interior space design. How comfortable are they to drive? Leg room I think would be limited for a 6 ft tall person as would foot space if you are running a standard transmission. Older I get the more comfort I want.

The coupes and roadsters from the 30s have always been a favourite of mine but they are of a limited interior space design. How comfortable are they to drive? Leg room I think would be limited for a 6 ft tall person as would foot space if you are running a standard transmission. Older I get the more comfort I want.

You're right, I love these cars too but I am 6'2'' and 235 lbs so ergonomics was of primary concern in undertaking this project.

I also wanted to run a manual trans ( three pedals ), on a longer wheelbase '32 frame, and be able to use a proper 1940 Ford OEM 17'' steering wheel.

Legroom, and being able to get in and out of the thing was going to be a major concern . A roadster was pretty much out of the question.

What we came up with was a sport coupe body (the ugly duckling of the Model A bodies) because of its longer ( 28'' vs 22'') and taller (again approx. 28'' x 23'') coupe/sedan doors and longer coupe sized passenger compartment. Also because they are less desirable, easier to get and cheaper than roadster bodies.

Starting from scratch, the decision was made to drop the floor to the bottom of the 6'' deep frame rails and to build a trans/tunnel and weld it all in uni-body style (see pics back in post no.3 of this build thread) .

This has resulted in a car that even a 6+ footer sits IN as opposed to sits ON as is the case with Model A roadsters generally. Sitting in the car, the top of my shoulder is at the same height as the quarter panel, not above it. Lots fab work to get it the way it is now but mission accomplished I think.

20191204_225503.jpg
Resized_21(1) (1).jpg
IMG_25251.jpg
Resized_20231001_151807_208114864606647 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Glad I asked the question..never knew any of that..must have been a lot of homework…and by the way it turned out you did a great job. 👍

Glad I asked the question..never knew any of that..must have been a lot of homework…and by the way it turned out you did a great job. 👍
Thanks! Yeah JBG, that was covered back in the first post of this thread and is what makes this build unique in open top Model A builds.

It was lots of work. 🙂

So that’s see if I have this right..the sport coupe doors are 6 inches longer than roadsters and the amd the passenger compartment is 6 inches longer too?..or am I reading this wrong?

So that’s see if I have this right..the sport coupe doors are 6 inches longer than roadsters and the amd the passenger compartment is 6 inches longer too?..or am I reading this wrong?
Yes that's correct, more or less, on the same wheelbase car.

The sport coupe body is a coupe body with the hard roof removed. Sport Coupes have bolt upright windshields, the doors are three hinge window framed coupe/sedan doors on the 28/29's.

The tulip panel (panel between the passenger compartment and the trunk lid) on a coupe/sport coupe body vs a roadster is where the difference is very apparent.

The roadster quarter panel is much longer because the doors are shorter making a roadster harder to get in and out of for a big guy.
IMG_20240109_162311.jpg
IMG_20240109_162214.jpg