.023" MIG wire source.

Bgbkwndo

I believe the following question has been answered here before, but I can't seem to find it: which manufacturer makes a mig wire suitable for hammer and dollying, without cracking? The term "soft" wire may have been used to describe it. Thanks for any leads...........Bgbkwndo.

Your local welding supply company should have it or be able to get it flux core might be more limited but standard gas setup you can get almost anything providing you have the power to run it. Open the yellow pages and call around.

Not sure if this helps but Acklands Granger sells “Easy Weld” (?) which grinds a little better. :)

I know this is an old thread but in case some of you are still looking for a "soft" wire I think the term is a little misleading.
The term "hard wire" is really just another term for solid wire, which is what you would use for light duty body work. .023 is preferred, some use .030. In my opinion ,if you fuse the 2 metals together properly you shouldn't have any problems with cracking.
Soft wire is just another term for aluminum or flux cored wire .
I personally use .30 solid with gas for anything lighter than 10ga. I cannot comment on the small fluxcored wires as I have never used them I don't believe the finished weld will be any softer ( just uglier :rolleyes:)

I know this is an old thread but in case some of you are still looking for a "soft" wire I think the term is a little misleading.
The term "hard wire" is really just another term for solid wire, which is what you would use for light duty body work. .023 is preferred, some use .030. In my opinion ,if you fuse the 2 metals together properly you shouldn't have any problems with cracking.
Soft wire is just another term for aluminum or flux cored wire .
I personally use .30 solid with gas for anything lighter than 10ga. I cannot comment on the small fluxcored wires as I have never used them I don't believe the finished weld will be any softer ( just uglier :rolleyes:)

When using this "soft" term, methinks that is used to mean more malleable.

And just a little more clarification: when you state that you use .30 solid wire with gas for anything lighter than 10 ga., I think you meant to say you use .030 wire for this task.

Just my $.02 worth..............Bgbkwndo.

I use to be able to get a softer wire from Air liquide it was a softer tensil strength meaning it also was not recommended for use on the new uni-body cars. I can't remember the number designation but it was different than what I can get now. I have been told they no longer can get it? Could be their story? I think I should re-investigate this option once again,, even if it is special order I would stock pile it.

Bash

If I remember correctly, from another site, the easy grind was designated as S7 now, where most mig wire is S6. Not sure, without doing some research, but that is what comes to mind right now anyway. Had to do with silicon content or something like that I think. If I am wrong, then ignore this, but some searches might bring up the topic in a better light.

I tried to get some Easy Grind through Prax Air a couple months back but they said there wasn't enough demand to justify the import cost. I did find an online source at the time, but it was expensive stuff to play with.