O2 Sensor Removal

58chev

Supporting Member
Folks,
I hope some one has a good idear for me.... :D :D

This is on my winter beater.

1998 Toyota Tercel

I am having a he!! of a time trying to remove the rear O2 Sensor. I have run the engine for a good 20 mins, the exhaust good and hot, sprayed some lube, tryed a crayon. The wax looks like it is wicking into the treads but I still cannot trun the sensor at all.

Anyone have any other idears for me to try?

I have the car up on a jack and am laying on the driveway. Hard to get a good swing in with my 5Lb sledge. Have a long 22mm open end on the nut.

Do you have a Oxygen/Acetalene torch? Or find someone close with a set.
You could heat up the treads cherry red and try breakin it loose.

Just a plumbers propane torch. I could give that a try.

EDIT::::
Propane torch just not hot enough. That or it's just a tad on the cold side for it to work.

Last edited:
Techhead a plumbers torch won't get it hot enough.

If you don't have heat try some Tri-Flow antiseaze. You may have to apply it a few times and leave it for a day or so. It may break loose that way with a long breaking bar or pipe over the ratchet

Last edited:
Frank, I know that there are special sockets that are specifically for O2 sensors. Might allow you to get a bit more torque on it for removal. Should be able to find the sockets at the local auto supply. Hope this helps.

probably close quarters but if you can get to the mounting boss with a large blunt punch or an air chisel with a punch and hammer around as much of the boss as you can get to you can probably stretch it enough that it will loosen up. the only other alternative is heat.

Frank,
Oxy/Acetylene torch is the best bet heat the pipe threads only and
you can rent an O2 sensor socket from your nearest canadian Tire. heat it up put a good Johnson bar on it and give'r

Tighten it first. Sounds funny I know but so many times the rust won't break free when loosening it but a little snap to tighten it does.

if your taking it out anyway...cut the wire off the 02 so you can get a box end on it, an open wrench will wreck it so nothing will get it out ..heat ..heat..heat..or you will risk stripping the threads in the bung and then you will have to weld in a new bung ..

Chuck is right HEAT:eek:If all you have is a propane torch ,,,use it .You will be surprised how little heat is better than nothing .

Bob

Hey Frank, if you want to run it over to my place, I've got a set of torches, also a BFH if'n we need it. :D

if you ask for help you should respond

I find it a little rude that when you come to ask for some help and members take the time to offer some response and then the person asking for some help never return to finish the reqest with how it turned out so every gets to learn how did it go..:confused:

pretty soon we may stop responding to help requests ..it does take time and effort to make a response the least one can do is close out the thread with a fix or result..not peeing in anybodys cornflakes here it just seems to me if you have the time to ask..... then take time to tell us how it went...:)

Fatchuk you will regret posting that when tomorows headlines read MAN FOUND FROZEN UNDER CAR FINGER STUCK IN BUNG.

Better to have finger frozen in bung....than dung...:D:p;)

I just find it annoying that when some one has a problem and they get on here all frustrated and come to the bro's for a little advice but then they never come back and let us know if they got-r-done..and what did it take.. The point is we all learn from the fix..share it..At my age I have no regrets!!:cool:

^^^^^^ x2.....I too hate 'hanging threads', so to speak....a followup or an update would be nice.....

only two possible answers .1 it came out .2 he ripped the pipe off. no one is going to admit the bung hole beat them and the crappy tire tech had to fix it.